Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Effects of Setting

Chunk #1:

The setting had a crucial effect on all the characters, but specifically Antonia.  She moved from the country, where she worked hard on the farm providing for her family like a father, to the city where she had more opportunity to do things as she pleased than follow the rules and social regulations like other city girls. "The country girls were considered a menace to the social order. Their beauty shone out too boldly against a conventional background."  With Antonia working now in the city it effected the amount of time she spent with Jim. Now she was able to be with him more often than when she lived in the country.

Chunk #2:


I live on a vast, living farm around 140 acres with hills and valleys good for hunting, fishing, and living as most country girls do. The advantage I have over most families is I somewhat live a double life. I have to farm to get muddy in, to act like an old cowgirl would, herding and raising cattle. On the contrary, I live minutes from the city of Batesville, or the lack there of, but furthermore get to experience the life of the city. Whether its going shopping, participating in "social" events, or riding around with my friends, I love living a somewhat double life. If I simply "get tired" of living one life, I automatically have the other to lean on.

No comments:

Post a Comment